Carbon Monoxide Alarms save lives

CO_alarmCarbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless and tasteless poisonous gas. Many Canadians die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning in their own homes, most of them while sleeping.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms save lives and soon every Ontario residence with fuel-burning appliances or heating systems, fireplaces, or attached garages will legally be required to have one installed.

What are the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning?

When carbon monoxide levels rise in your home, even though you can’t see it or smell it, there are warning signs. Carbon monoxide reduces the amount of oxygen in your blood and causes flu-like symptoms but without the fever. Symptoms include:

  • headaches,
  • nausea,
  • dizziness,
  • drowsiness/fatigue,
  • burning eyes,
  • confusion,
  • loss of coordination and
  • unconsciousness.

If your Carbon Monoxide detector sounds or you suspect carbon monoxide exposure evacuate the building immediately and call 911.  If anyone in your house is experiencing symptoms get them immediate medical attention.

What causes CO exposure?

Fatal levels of CO buildup can occur when appliances that use fuels like natural gas, oil, wood, propane and kerosene malfunction or are not properly maintained, have damaged or blocked venting or are not getting enough airflow.

Protect against the dangers of Carbon Monoxide…

  1. Install a Carbon Monoxide Alarm – You can’t smell, see or taste carbon monoxide so detection is impossible without such a warning device
  2. In the Spring and Fall when we adjust clocks for the time-change we are reminded to test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure that the batteries are working. Realize that the test button on a CO alarm only tests the battery and circuitry, not the sensor itself.
  3. Replace CO alarms that are over 5 years old as they have a limited lifespan. Newer models are designed to signal a need to be replaced.
  4. Have your gas appliances and equipment maintained annually by a licensed HVAC contractor
  5. Do not use outdoor appliances such as BBQ’s or camping/stoves inside during a power outage

A working CO alarm and well-maintained HVAC equipment will keep your family safe from the danger of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Give Home Comfort Canada a call, we will be happy to come and inspect and clean your HVAC system to ensure safe and efficient operation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *